Saturday 16 March 2013

I Want You !! - (feedback)

This week I have reached the point of no turning back. Unless I suffer some extreme injury or other emergency over the next 6 weeks it is certain that I will begin the 100 mile quest in exactly 6 weeks time: 10am on Saturday 27th April in Central Park, New York. Estimating approx 26-28 hours, non-stop, no sleep, thru the night running - if I even manage to reach those goddamn 'Rocky Steps' at all - I should finish in the early afternoon of Sunday 28th April (my brother's 40th birthday) at the Museum of Art in Philadelphia.

Next week I will book the flights and really begin the business of organising the route, support crew, etc.

SLY STALLONE:
"YO STEPHEN! - HAPPY BIRTHDAY!!""


A few days ago I posted my blog on facebook. It got over 1,200 page views in 24 hours which felt weird. I have something like 500 'friends' on facebook so it seems people are sharing my little tale around to other people, which I find uncomfortable and fascinating at the same time. I must remember why I am doing this. The more awareness I can raise for mental illness the more successful this whole experience will be. If I am able to achieve something really amazing - like getting a "Yo Stephen - Happy Birthday!!" in Rocky Balboa accent from Sly Stallone to my brother would be the pinnacle! Moreover, I hope to make my family proud and give them something funny to talk about back home. These things keep me going. The fact that I am punishing myself physically and emotionally in the meanwhile is elementary my dear Watson.

I have been humbled by the response to my motivations and to my story behind this blog. I wanted to share some with you to see how inspirational it is to receive feedback like this. It gives my quest more depth and meaning when hearing how some people, friends, live with mental illness in their lives (several of which I didn't even know because mental illness is still such a taboo issue). I want more feedback - please! I did 20km half marathon yesterday and these words remain in my mind, swirl around while running - it gives me extra determination not to fail.

CLICK ON VIDEO BELOW:
APOLLO CREED - I WANT YOU!!


I keep the feedback anonymous out of respect of course for the people who sent them to me (except for the email from my new mentor guru Jose Brborich who is helping me a lot and who has a lot of experience in ultra distance running).

Really, some of these things have moved me to tears when receiving and reading them.

THANK YOU for inspiring me. I will be doing my best not to let you down...

- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -
"My lady has just shown me that small life story you wrote, well done with that, your ol'man would be so proud as I am sure your mam and bro are already. Let us know how to give donation on the run  - f*ck me 100 miles that's going to hurt - I know not many people with the strength and guts that could even do it but you're right up there, good luck mate, speak soon"
- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -
"for your brother/my sister (would have been her bithday on St Patricks day) and for everyone whose lives have been touched by this Vile 'invader' !"
- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -
"ROCKY-ON-TRENT"
- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -

"Mate what a "insane" lesson of generosity and humility you're giving the world. I believe in you."
- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -

"Dearest Simon, I have just started reading some of your incredible, emotional and inspiring blog. Honestly Simon, you really are an amazing man. I am so sorry for the sadness and crippling low points you have had in your life when your dad died. It takes such strength to pick yourself up after a huge loss and to battle the depression you suffered. And slowly but surely you have managed to get back on your feet. I don't underestimate how difficult this must have been and how many dark days you have to overcome to get here. But you have always been a fighter, achieving so many things in your life. Where some people sit and talk about doing something, you have got up and done it!......... "
- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -
 
"OMG your blog is amazing! just been reading for the last half an hour and still more to read. keep writing. love it! What an incredible thing to do! huge respect! and can't believe your commitment with victoria. Looked already into ultra's and finished reading ding eat and run by scott jurek. Good luck and will think of you every run I am doing. Keep going! you can do it! even you might think you don't have enough training. just invest in a camelbak so your arms are free and your shoulders not carrying all that weight of the water bottles. try a mid foot strike at 90bpm/foot which is smaller steps but faster which prevents injuries(helped me with my bad knee in the beginning) lean slight forward and let gravity pull you. keep arms at 90degrees and pull backwards small tips which made my running more energy efficient So proud! Amazing Simon. hope to run with you one day. XX"
- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -
"I read your blog. It has always intrigued me the dynamic you, your brother and your father had. As not normal it is to most people, it is a confirmation of what I believe human nature is. I always loved your unrecognized logic in life. Miss you very much. You are one of the few in life that I miss, and cherish. You not being a scouser of course help that as well"
(from a Manchester United fan!)
- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -

"Simon, just read your blog, it's amazing, your story is amazing! I can't even imagine attempting to run so far. But I'm sure you will. And you write so well! Not sure how you are going to organise your support crew, but let me know if there is anything at all I can do to help. Big or small. Good luck with the rest of the training!"

- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -

"Hi Smon, XXXXX forwarded me your blogspot.... I really don't know what to say but WOW AMAZING INSPIRING .... But also CRAZY!!! I have even more respect for u now than I already had. U are a great man, don't change and keep doing what u are doing!!"

- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -

"Good morning Sie, congratulations with your achievement to run 60km! To complete a marathon is already a great achievement. 60km is half more extra! Besides training your body work as well on the mental aspect.. You need to be focused and mentally strong to overcome the challenges you will encounter on April 27th. The blog is well written and tells a lot about life, what can be achieved with hard work, determination and put your heart in everything you do. You should consider to publish a book after your 100 mile challenge!! Keep going!!!"

- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -
 
"Just wanted to message to say I have just read your blog in its entirety and think it is a wonderful thing to do, the blog is great and will follow your journey and of course sponsor you . Mental health is a big issue for myself too. My uncle took his own life last year and many members of my family suffer from depression and manic episodes"
- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -

"Hello stranger! It has been a while...too long actually! I just came across your FB post about the blog & 100 mile run! Wanted to let you know how much I admire what you're doing. I must also say, you're nuts and it's crazy! But also wishing you all the best in completing this incredible journey!"

- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -
 
"we read the blog, we shed a tear dude, great writing, hope you're OK. Simon, love you man, you are an inspiration to us. Keep it real"
- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -

"hey simon, i was at your blog and just wanted to say hello...couldnt help my tears going down on my cheeks...made me think a lot..cannot even describe what i felt but its deep, the deepest of the colour blue.  i dunno the others but, i found similarities with me in what you wrote - specially the ' sie, are you crazy?' post... i think we live in an era, where, people keep things to themselves and do not share....worse, they do not even share with themselves! somehow we are torn apart with our own soul..the reason why i was so touched might be because today,while i was packing, i found many notebooks where i used to write my feelings, my aims, my observations...so writing, plus sharing, is really important to remember or realize things...that might be the reason why many people are moved, because, you made us look into our ownselves. but anyway its late so all i wanna say is, it was nice to read, and i thank you for that"

- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -
"Your blog was my 6am read this morning and I LOVED IT!! - Keep going!!"
- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -

"Hi Simon. You don't know me. I'm a friend of XXXXX. He forwarded me your blog last night and I looked at it this morning. I couldn't stop reading it, and I actually cried. I was late for work! I hope to meet you one day."

- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -
"Wow!!!!!!!! - I have 3 friends that run the Leadville 100 mile event every year , so i know all about training for 100 mile races and the pain it takes. This is incredible simon. I support you every step of the way and if there is anything i can do please let me know. What an amazing thing you are doing. Remember to tell me what you will need. I will come support u."
- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -
"Beautiful Simon! Truly inspiring! Good luck with the big run! ..Stay close to Victoria and you'll be just fine!"
- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -
"Run Forrest Run"
- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -
"this is totally great! please go online and inspire the others out there. you already did inspire me! i also wish one day to be able to run with you .. so far, i can only do it for 5 mins on the treadmill!"
- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -

"Well done on your running Simon! You're doing amazing x I've read your blog a few times now, keep up the good work & positive vibes!!  Mental illness is shit and often happens to the people that really do give a shit about others and care a lot about people and letting people down. I've been there twice and it's been the most frightening and lonely places ever. Running has pulled me through many of times. Hope has also pulled me through and to never ever give up because things DO get better and everyone can be happy if you just believe it! Gosh, sounds like a song! I'm sure your mum & brother are really proud of you!"

- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -
"nice simon!! I've especially liked the walking like Robocop's baby thing;-)"
- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -

"You are a better brother than I could ever be"

- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -
"Awesome champy!!!! I am really proud of you.. And you are not making an ass of yourself ok. Everyone has to start somewhere I hope I can come run with you too one day (pretty please)."
- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -

"You are unbelievable!! I'm still crying after reading your blog. You should write a book"

- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -
"Hi Simon. I just read your blog and I think you are great to do it, and I am proud to have had the chance to have met you!"
- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -
"MASSIVE..... Outstanding mate - that is an oustanding challenge - loving those before and after photos!!!"
- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -
"Just read through your blog. You’re not crazy, Sie, just very very passionate and possibly a little on the extreme side! I hope my kids feel that way about each other and me. It’s what it is all about. That’s the meaning of life for me."
- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -
"Forrest Whitehouse"
- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -
"very very great. A moving account of motivation and will and spirit and soul.. Great idea also... recently my brother has taken up long distance running. Not 100 miles long but like 40 miles. He was inspired by Mont Blanc race and maybe it's a good way to mind-escape too. Kind of good to see how hard it can be and I read recently that it is good to write this stuff down, sort of publically, to keep up motivation.. Rocky quotes resonate so much more now than when I was 10 years old or something!" Wise wise Rocky... Keep going Sie!!!""
- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -
"You deserve every penny for every drop of that green gunk you devour...but wheres the raw eggs?? Go Rocky Whitehouse X"
- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -
"I read your blog and I'm very very impressed.. When I saw your blog and your story came up to my mind the redbull website (http://givesyouwings.redbull.com/it-it/?from=promostrip) I saw that phrase (The only limit is the one you set yourself) and it reminded me of you."
- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -

"Simon, it is an amazing thing what you are doing! I must confess that my life story is very similar to yours.. my sister has a mental illness and my father passed away very suddenly 12years ago and I really know what does it mean. That’s why it is even more touching for me.. I support you totally and respect you a lot for your courage and determination! Bravo Simon, run!"

- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -

"Darling, Love the blog. I'm very proud of the fact that you're laying it all out there.. Your posts have been real, raw and 100% Simon and I love that. We are truly the most powerful when we surrender to life and to love.. And you will get there.."

- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -

"Simon, your blog is funny and honest -- a great read!  Stallone has nothing on you... :o) "

- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -
"Hey Simon,
Just read a few blogposts and let me tell you that I am with you on this!!! We need to talk asap!
Once Dani told me about your idea and the limited experience and time to prepare you have, I immediately told him that you were crazy and that you were going to hurt yourself. I told him that you should not do it.
Now, after I have read some of your posts, I still believe that you are crazy and that you will end up hurting yourself, but now I think YOU HAVE TO DO IT!!!
I cannot guarantee you that you will be able to arrive to Philly to climb the Rocky steps...but we can give it the best shot possible avoiding some macro-errors, and improving what is possible to improve until April.
The main thing is: YOU HAVE TO BE HEALTHY AT THE START LINE!!!
This goal of yours is not about speed or strength, but about will and heart....but if you start that day with injuries all over, no power of will or enormous motivation will take you to the finish line. 100 miles are a lot...and a broken body will not be taken over that distance just by the power of your great determination.
One other thing: Lose weight!!! (in a proper way!)...so avoid alcohol and sweets...100 miles with 5-10 extra pounds on you is a tremendous drag in your energy.
Anyways, there are many things that I would like to know more about...but I think it is better if we do it in person. I might be traveling in a couple of weeks, so worst case, we do it via skype. In the meantime, we can be in touch via email and whatsapp (+39 xxxxxx).
I am currently working on my website, but it is going to take a long time before is finished. But you can check my old blog here http://thesuperfitproject.blogspot.it/2011/01/superfit-project.html
And these are a few videos:
Talk to you soon!
José"
- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -




.

No comments:

Post a Comment